Friday, February 18, 2011

#2 Continued!

I neglected to mention why I started with the last post with the story that I did. Wed night leaving church a dear young friend ask me about writing a bit more...I told her I would do more if someone would give me topics! Low & behold later in the evening I checked email & I had a message from her with the topics she wished to hear about! So, I just started with the first on her list...How did you meet MJ!

I am just going to work through her list!

Before I go on to number two on the list I need to finish up number one! After our meeting at the stoplight we dated the rest of the way through high school. It caused my (and I trust his) senior year to be very sweet. I left for college in the fall and he stayed home to both work and attend school. I broke up with him soon after I started ACU...actually that is another whole post...that break up gave my dad the longest drive of his life back from Abilene to FtW! Can't believe I did it, but they had driven somthing out to Abilene for me...why I don't know, but that seemed like the right time to break up! What on earth was I thinking? (Obviously, only about myself!) We stayed broken up until April of that year. (Really broken up, we did not see each other, we did not call.)

When we began to date again it was delightful...my husband has always been a model of extending grace. I finished college in three years and we married in August before my last year began.

I must tell you that my family fell in love with MJ very quickly! My father loved him quickly and deeply. Frank was the father of three girls that he delighted in but here was someone that loved to hunt and fish! They became fast friends. It never occurred to us (3 girls) that our father loved to hunt and fish! I still remember wandering out into the garage with them and seeing my dad show MJ old fishing poles that I never noticed before. They shared a bond so tight. My dad introduced MJ to the Lord through the life he led. He showed him how to lead with love and discipline and have all kinds of followers. I have so many treasured memories of their friendship...I remember the stories they would tell after hunting trips that would have tears of laughter...good good memories! My father had insight into MJ early. I remember him telling me, Suzy, I like him. I really like him.
My mother and sisters loved him from the beginning too. If I was not ready on time when he came to pick me up, my sisters (the twins! two 1/2 yrs older than I) would entertain him until I got ready. He wanted me to be on time.
I know my mother loved him early, but oh my the love she had for him during the last years of her life was amazing. We all knew he was the favorite. During the season of her ife when her children were having to make decisions for her she would resist her three daughters. He could come in and talk about what needed to happen and she was ready to follow what ever he said. (It did not take us long to start sending him in first!) She knew we loved her but she really really knew he loved her. Don't know if this makes sense but I think she loved his love!

I am so sorry, I am getting way off the stated subject...MJ and I married on
August 1, 1969! We are in our 42nd year of marriage. What an incredible journey this has been. He can still just about make my heart explode with love.

5 comments:

  1. I recognize I will be in a heap of trouble with my mother, but I laughed out loud when I got to "He wanted me to be on time." Don't doubt that for a second. And one of my favorite family stories will always be Popo & Morton. Love you so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Lynds, this does not hurt my feelings! We knew it was true at the time, but still couldn't resist a captive audience...

    ReplyDelete
  3. FYI - this is not Randy, but Kelly! I do not have a current blog so until then I will have to be a Marketing Twin!

    I LOVE reading these!! Thanks so much for sharing these stories! Keep them coming!

    KJV

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is julie......
    I love, love, love this! I have never heard this part of the jeffrey journey. It so delights and encourages my heart! Thank you aunt suzy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SJ--I can hear your (dare I say "precious?") voice in these posts! Love them all! Thanks for writing! You are one of God's special gifts in my life!

    ReplyDelete